For many decades Kashmir despite of violence and years of unrest, still continues to give meaning to these line. Kashmir is not less than Paradise with its sweet weather throughout the year, the hills, rivers and special foods . it’s special ‘noon chai’ or pink chai people also define it as Kashmiri Chai. It is a traditional beverage from the valleys of Kashmir made with gunpowder tea (Green tea leaves rolled into small balls), milk and baking soda. Pink tea is famous for its creamy flavor and yes ofcourse its pink color.if you are a tea lover then you are going to experience a completely different version of tea. In our normal tea we add sugar but in this they add salt which is extraordinary but a key ingredient in this special tea.
You must be wondering how pink color ? It’s not artificial colors, it’s a result of chlorophyll in tea reacting with bicarbonate of soda that’s added to boiling tea leaves and that’s why baking soda is used .Spicesin Pink tea are optional, but if you want to use them, keep it delicate. Salty with a hint of bitterness, making pink tea at home can become a headache for you, it’s just like titration. Some times you will not accurate pink color as you expected or like in photos, but it’s ok you can still enjoy its flavor but if you want the accurate pink color then you need to learn it’s technical.
So, if you were planning a trip to Kashmir but won’t be able to make it because of this lock down ! You can still feel the flavors of Kashmir and it’s special Pink tea with this amazing recipe of pink tea.
Ingredients for pink tea
- Tea leaves – 2 tbsp
- Green cardamoms- 4-5
- Salt- 1 tbsp
- Soda bicarbonate – 1tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Star anise – 1
- Milk – 2 cups
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Pistachi – 8-10
- Heat two cups of water in a deep non-stick pan and bring to a boil.
- Open cardamom pods and add seeds to the pan along with tea leaves, salt, soda bicarbonate, cinnamon, star anise and stir. Bring this to a boil.
- Then Add milk, mix well and bring it to a boil. Discard tea leaves and spices.
- Add sugar and mix well and let the sugar melt. Strain the tea in a tea kettle.
- Add finely chopped pistachios. Pour the tea in individual cups, garnish with chopped pistachios and serve hot and enjoy .
But make sure not to drink too much it can be harmful because we know excess of anything is bad .
- A 2013 study byInternational Journal of Case Reports and Images, says that people love to drink noon chai “at high temperature particularly during winters”, for warmth .
- Improves digestion : Because of the sodium bicarbonate content pink tea is good for digestion .
- Boost immunity : with vitamin c in it pink tea helps in boosting your immunity , which very important in this pandemic situation . So, if you want an alternative of those tasteless kadha pink tea can be a better option .
- Drink this during winter for keeping your body warm . In Kashmir drink this two to three times a day for keeping there body warm in harsh winter’s .
- this is also known to reduce stress and anxiety as it contains L-theanine, an amino acid component .
You can use this recipe of Pink tea for tasting a new flavour of tea with so many health benefits . Enjoy with evening snacks and feel the flavours of Kashmir by just setting on your couch .